Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

milling and bending simulation

gdsoftm

Hi

Tell me please how can I simulate this in Catia: a sheet of material is milled and then bent (using a line from the bottom of the milling profile) to form a box
- you can watch from the minute 2:00

Thank you

That is an interesting wood-working tool and application!

CATIA V5 does not have the tools to produce a similar video simulation. You could use Vericut to animate the NC tool path, and you could use CATIA Kinematics to animate the bending. But you could not run both together. And it would require a lot of effort in CATIA to get mediocre (at best) simulation results.

CATIA is a precise "engineering" tool; not a graphics tool to produce entertaining videos. There are probably other apps that could be used instead.

Last edited:
Hello again MrCatia

When I saw your answer I realized that I have not used the right words in my topic. When I said "simulate" I meant to draw a part (eventually using something related to "sheet design" or equivalent) and to be able to fold it to show the final product and to unfold it to generate the execution drawing. I don't know very well "sheet metal" & co and I didn't managed to do this using this module (in fact, I didn't managed to do this at all).

CATIA V5 has several sheetmetal workbenches. All of them are based on bending metal about the neutral axis (near the middle) of the sheet thickness, and creating a flat pattern from the bent shape. Plus the metal sheet is not grooved, like in the video. Since the wooden box is bent close to the outside surface of the wall, I don't think the sheetmetal app would be of much help.

I suggest instead making two 3D parts of the wooden box using the Part Design workbench; one flat with the milled grooves, and the second part being the bent box. Then make your drawing with some views from the flat part, and some views from the bent box.

Last edited:

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back