Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

mirroring of sheet metal part

Hello,
I have a simple sheet metal part (a few walls and bends) in an assembly, I need the mirror of this part, such that change of the part will be projected into its mirror.
I have tried the Mirror function in Part workbench, it works, but Drafting workbench does not work properly because second unfolded shape is not drawn, may be it is under cover of unfolded first part, probably.
I have found only one next way: Insert-Symmetry of entire component in the assembly, it create second component mirroring first one, manual Local update(s) poke projection of future changes into new component, but Drafting of this mirror is impossible because it exclamations: "The encumbrance of selected solid is null. Unfolded view cannot be applied to selected solid.":(
Q.: Please, how to create mirror of sheet metal part, which can be unfolded in Drafting?

The Mirror tool in the Part Design workbench does not recognize sheetmetal features. This is why the unfolded view only shows the sheetmetal geometry.

The Symmetry tool in the Assembly Design workbench also only copies CATPart files, so I don't believe it was intended to be used for sheetmetal parts. (I think that's what the message means)

There is a Mirror tool in the Sheetmetal workbench, but according to the online help documentation, only features of the sheetmetal part can be mirrored. The entire part cannot be mirrored this way

Mirroring a feature

In this task, you are going to mirror a given feature, that is, to duplicate it symmetrically with respect to a plane.
- You can mirror a hole, a wall, a wall on edge, a cutout, a flange, a stamp (except stiffening ribs), a pattern or another mirror.
- Whatever feature you choose to mirror, it must lie on a unique, planar wall.
- It is mandatory that the result of the mirroring should lie on the part, otherwise it cannot be mirrored.

I think the best solution is to just create the mirrored part as a brand new sheetmetal part.

You can probably copy the original part and quickly modify it into a mirrored part by reversing the bend angles. Once you have a new sheetmetal part, you can draw the unfolded shape of this new part.

But if it is symmetrical, you can probably just use the same flat pattern and just bend it in the opposite directions to fabricate it.

Last edited:

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back