Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Multisections surface guide support

AFROUZ.E

As you know, it is possible to impose a tangency support to guide curves in the command. Can you please attach a sample of using this option?

The support (or Reference Surface) is used to define an angular reference to determine the angle of the swept surface (0 deg = tangent, 90 deg = normal).

In my example below; I've want to use Swept Surface to extrapolate the right edge of the yellow surface in the tangent direction; so I use the yellow surface as the Reference Surface and set the Angle = 0 degrees.

swept surf.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks MrCATIA.

It's very simple, but had not been come into my mind though. ;)
Perhaps because it is more comfortable to create it with the referece surface subtype of the sweep command.

I apologize AFROUZ.E for my previous post. After re-reading the original post, I realize you asked about the MULTI-SECTION tool and my reply was regarding the SWEEP tool. Please let me try to provide a better example for you.

The option to specify a Tangent condition along the Guide curve is similar to the SWEEP tool. It imposes a direction along the guided edge of the surface, providing better continuity between the MULTI-SECTION surface and the adjoining surface.

In this new example, I would like to create a Multi-Section surface between the two lines which are created tangent to the yellow surface. If I do not include a Guide curve, the result is a simple, flat surface (brown) as shown below. No continuity at all!

multi-sect 1.JPG

By imposing the edge of the yellow surface as a Guide curve, the Multi-Section surface does follow the shape of the yellow surface and does have G0 continuity. However, if we JOIN the two surface, we discover there is indeed Tangency discontinuity.

multi-sect 2.JPG

Imposing tangency along the guide curve can be done by selecting the yellow surface. The Multi-Section surface is slightly different now, and can be verifed by with the JOIN tool. A Gaussian analysis should also verify good continuity between the two surfaces.

multi-sect 3.JPG

Last edited:
No apology. I thanked you before because I found what I have to do to reach my goal. Your example in the first post lit the way up for me, although it was created by the sweep command. I thank you again for your second detailed post.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back