Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

need help on reference dimension

jethru_perater

hi evryone...

can somebdy clearly explain when to use a dimension wherein it`s nominal value is enclosed with parenthersis in drawings? is it called reference dimension? Coz I`m really confused when to have a dimension enclosed with parenthesis. pls helpppp :confused:

You are correct that dimensions in parentheses (or followed by the notation REF) is a reference dimension. Reference dimensions are used for informational purposes only. They do not govern the manufacture of the part.

Perhaps the best way to explain is to give a couple of examples. If a dimension duplicates information given elsewhere, I might use a reference dimension. For instance, if I already dimensioned the radius that governs the width of an obround slot, I might include the width dimension as a reference. If I were modifying an off-the-shelf part or beginning with raw material in a standard size (such as tubing or sheet metal) I might include reference dimensions to indicate the nominal size of the original material.

One suggestion, if you're just learning this. Don't include reference dimensions without a reason, just to add extra dimensions. Do include them if they will clarify, inform, or save your machinist a hunt.

You can find additional discussions here and here.

--DG

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back