Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

New to CATIA. Simple execution question, as well as a few more.

tectactoe

Okay. I am new to CATIA, and almost CAD in general. I used CAD in high school (vectorworks) but that was nearly 6-7 years ago. So I haven't retained much info and am kind of fumbling through CATIA, trying to learn it to make my job easier.

I have a question which seems extremely simple (I feel kind of stupid for asking) but I want to figure out the best way to achieve this goal. Here is a crude picture I drew to better illustrate my problem:

http://i.imgur.com/rXeKy.png

I have already modeled part A. Its a triangular shaped pad on top of a circular part. As you can see, the two faces of this triangular part are perpendicular to the surface of the circle. What I want is what's pictured in part B - the faces don't end perpendicular to the circle, rather they slope down as shown. I tried to draw and iso view, as well as top view to get the point across more clearly.

I honestly feel this should be simple, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to properly do this. What commands to use, and what sketch plate to execute it from. I really feel dumb for having to ask, but what better way to learn, right? I appreciate any and all help.

One more question - I'd like to learn CATIA, like REALLY learn it. I know it's not something that can be mastered overnight, but are there any sources (books, manuals, online docs, etc) that basically can be used to self-teach CATIA? I want to become more proficient at my job, so learning CATIA would help me a great deal.

Thanks again.

Anthony

Welcome back to CAD Anthony.

There are many ways to add the angular slopes at the end of the triangular pad. You could use Chamfer on both of the edges, or use Draft twice. Another method would be to add Planes to define the slopes, and then Split the triangular pad. It all depends on what specific requirements you have to meet (ie 45° from the circle face).

learning CATIA

One more question - I'd like to learn CATIA, like REALLY learn it. I know it's not something that can be mastered overnight, but are there any sources (books, manuals, online docs, etc) that basically can be used to self-teach CATIA? I want to become more proficient at my job, so learning CATIA would help me a great deal.

There are many sources of self-teaching material on the web (tutorials, U-Tube videos, books you can buy, etc.), but the best way to REALLY learn CATIA is to take a class that is taught by a certified CATIA instructor, and then get alot of practice. There are many companies and colleges that offer classes. Since you're learning CATIA for your job, ask your boss if your company will pay for you to learn CATIA.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back