Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

overall part dimensions

W

wadep

anyone know if there's anywhere in solidworks where i can find the maximum dimensions of my parts -- perhaps even my assemblies -- without having to measure them all manually? i know "mass properties" will give me volume, surface area, axes of inertia, and all that other good stuff... but what about simple dimensions?

If you look in the SW API you'll have access to the overall volume dimensions. I haven't seen this available in the UI (user interface).
I have forgotten what it's called, but it something like global space or some other big name.

You could write a simple VB program that could print this out for you.

Why do you want this?

thanks for the tip... i haven't found it yet, but i'll keep looking.

i'd think it would be useful to many engineers and designers to be able to easily measure overall part dimensions, no?

TRY LINKING THE DIM MEAUSURED IN FLAT PATTERN OR WHATEVER BY CREATING A CUSTOM PROPERTY LENGTH AND CLICK THAT DIM FOR ITS VALUE

kEITH

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back