Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Problem with point cloud and surface mesh

darkovas

Hi

I am new with CATIA. I have one problem and I hope someone can help me. The problem is following: I have point cloud of measured data points. I imported this point cloud into CATIA and I created mesh around this data points. I used flip edge and mesh smoothing to obtain better quality mesh.
But my problem is that mesh which is created is surface mesh and I need solid mesh. The solid mesh is needed because I intend to do finite element analysis to calculate stress (fon Mises) and spatial displacements at nodes.
I’ll be very happy if you can help me or point me where to look for more information.

Sincerely
Darko Vasiljevic

You can make a solid by adding a uniform thickness to your surface with the THICK SURFACE icon in the Part Design workbench.

Are you planning on using the GPS workbench to do the stress analysis?

Problem explained

Hi

The thick surface command is not working well with my problem. Let me explain my problem so you may be able to help me.

I am researcher in the field of optics and my research topic is holographic detection of a tooth structure deformation after dental filling polymerization. For this I use real time holographic measurements of dental tissue contraction. I use extracted human teeth, which are characterized on special machine and as a result the cloud of data points are obtained. I intend to use this point cloud as a basis for construction of 3D solid model of real tooth. I have constructed simplified mathematical 3D solid model of tooth. I intend to use both models in finite element analysis. I have two choices: I can use GPS workbench or I can use program Abaqus which is installed at my University.

Back to my problem: The thick surface command is not good solution because I have closed surface mesh and thick surface works well with open surfaces. Can you help me in solving my problem?

Sincerely
Darko Vasiljevic

One method we use to repair imported foreign data could possibly help you.
It's a bit drawn out but I will try to keep my explaination short. This method does require a full Generative shape design license and also a step license.

Firstly make a "join" of all your surfaces. In the Generative shape design
workbench under "insert" ; "volumes" , click on the "close surface" icon.
Pick the join you have just made as the surface to close. You will become
a CloseSurface.1 under your active Geometrical Set (this is actually nothing more than a Volume).

All you need to do now is to save your model as a "stp" and re-open this
file in Catia. In this catia model you will find under a Body called
CloseSurface.1 a Manifold Solid that you can use as any other unintelligent solid

Hope this helps

" Firstly make a "join" of all your surfaces. In the Generative shape design
workbench under "insert" ; "volumes" , click on the "close surface" icon.
Pick the join you have just made as the surface to close. You will become
a CloseSurface.1 under your active Geometrical Set (this is actually nothing more than a Volume)."

I would at this point switch to part design workbench and use the CLOSE SURFACE TOOL....The benefit of this is that it is still associative to the construction curves and surfaces...

Last edited:

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back