Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Problems with open profiles in sketches

MrCATIA

Super Moderator
babarfirasat posted this CATIA question in the Support Request or Problem forum:

I'm building a radiator fan, I'm at a stage where I have to shaft the frame, but i'm receiving errors such as opened profiles and isolated profiles. I have tried to use the fix feature but it makes my sketch purple and doesn't fix the problem, the problem occurs where I have used a circle to create an arc.

Here is a print screen of what tragedy I'm going through.
How to overcome open profile problem..?-open-profile-problems.jpg

Last edited:
With CATIA V5, most sketches should contain closed profiles in order to use them for Pads, Pockets, etc.

A good habit when making a sketch is to always use the Sketch Analysis tool (bottom of the Tools menu) to check your sketch and verify it's closed.

Common problems that will be highlighted with Sketch Analysis:

Multiple profiles: choose the item in the list, and use the left icon on the bottom to convert the geometry to "construction"

Points: extra points in the sketch need to be converted to "construction"

Gaps: gaps in the profile will cause the sketch to have an open profile. Look for little blue circles to highlight the gaps. Usually adjacent geometry needs to be trimmed to close the gap.

Overlaps: duplicate or overlapping geometry will cause an open profile condition. Again, look for the little blue circles and delete the unwanted geometry

Wrong Projections: The User-Edges page of Sketch Analysis will show the referenced geometry from outside the sketch, and these should always have a status of "valid." If something shows a "wrong" status, the link is broken and need to be replaced or deleted or isolated.

catia

babarfirasat posted this CATIA question in the Support Request or Problem forum:

I'm building a radiator fan, I'm at a stage where I have to shaft the frame, but i'm receiving errors such as opened profiles and isolated profiles. I have tried to use the fix feature but it makes my sketch purple and doesn't fix the problem, the problem occurs where I have used a circle to create an arc.

Here is a print screen of what tragedy I'm going through.
How to overcome open profile problem..?-open-profile-problems.jpg

your sketch is over constrain & open from some were so constrain your sketch and close the open profile.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back