Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Relations to sketch end points

Balint

When selecting two points that are coincident to each other is there a good way to determine which point you have selected? For example if you have two sketch lines (sketch line A and B) and their end points are coincident to each other and then you add a third sketch line (C) and make its end point coincident to the end points of A and B which entities actually have the relation added? Did C get related to A or B? How can the user determine which entities are related to each other?

Relations in sketches

Well that's something I have not come accross to date. I tried out what you describe and found that there are aparently to relationships between the end points of the lines at all. The result was, that I could pick the end point but I was not able to seperate them again. I did find it quite amazing to see that two points join together as if they were mated but the property manager shows no relationships at all. So, the question is: What is holding the end points together and why can I not disengage the two again?

It will (I hope) be interesting to hear what others have to say on this one.

Sorry I was not able to help you with your question and instead came up with just more questions but there are some very knowlagable people out there and perhaps we will get lucky and one of them will post the answer for us.

Kind regards,

George.

Hi-

I believe if all in one sketch, SW recognizes the common point between lines A and B as just that - one common point rather rather than 2 coincident points.

If you add line C in another sketch, then close that sketch, you can right click over the point and choose "select other". Then you can see the relations and choose either point. If it's another sketch, then that would be considered "coincident" rather than "common".

Curious why this is important to you . . . . .

Good luck.

SW's help files

I think that SW's help files provide an answer: Under "Sketch Relations" - "Merge Points" you can read: "Two sketch points or end points are merged into a SINGLE point". I understand (from this explication) that are no more TWO points. So... the disociation is no more posible.

Why ???? Is another question.

Once the endpoints are made coincident, there is only one point, shared by lines A and B. If you add line C to the mix, and make its endpoint coincident to the previously shared one, there is still only one point. For internal identification, it looks as if SW keeps the same ID for the point as it first had when it first becomes shared. IE. after mating lines A and B, the shared endpoint will be ID'd as one of the original endpoints of A or B ( not sure how it determines which one), for instance "point2". Although other entities may be added to the mix, like line C, the point retains the "point2" identification.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back