Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

screw holes / component clearances

spider007

I don't use Catia on daily (or monthly) basis, so I don't know this.
I have a few questions.

-when adding screws to the assembly is there a way of adding the holes too, at the same time. For example; you have two plates in the assembly, and you just want to drop a screw in there, with holes and everything....

-is there a way to set a standard clearance around a component. For example; if you drop a standard bushing, in the assembly, and you want certain clearance around the head.....

Pointing me in the right place to get the answer would help too

Screw holes:

In the Assembly Design workbench, there are a set of tools in the Assembly Feature toolbar that allow you do things like add holes to several parts in the assembly.

Component Clearance:

There is a clearance capability in the AEC (Plant Design) set of tools for defining a volume around a piece of equipment/pipe/duct/wire, but I'm unaware of a similar tool in the Mechanical Design arena. You could add a surface (or a solid in a different PartBody) to define the "keep out" area. Layers and Visualization Filters would be a good way to turn the clearance geometry on/off.

Last edited:
I was able to solve both problems with the use of Assembly Features menu.

I used one part body to create the actual part, and another part body to create the hole around it (I’m surprised you can have a negative feature by it self in the part...)...when assembled, I used add remove to remove the hole around it from another part....

I also discovered "reuse patter" & symmetry in assembly mode and I love it (I’m a newbie - easily impressed.)

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back