Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Smooth complex curved shape

DaveCAD

Hi,

I am having some trouble generating a complex smooth shape. I managed to construct the approximate 3D shape by defining a couple of parallel planes. On these I draw the cross section with splines. I then carry out a Lofted Boss/Base operation,2D outlines on the different planes combining the different The solid object is then thinned down to 2mm with the Shell command. What I am missing is some overall post-processing smoothening/simplify complex shape button that makes the whole shape more regular. Does it exist for complex solids? Your help is appreciated.

Thanks

Try changing the start and end constraints in the feature properties to normal to profile. Also you can try changing the starting position of the loft. The little green dots that the normal or directional vectors are coming out of are the loft starting points. You can drag these points around to get different loft profiles.

Have you used guide lines?

Hi,

I am having some trouble generating a complex smooth shape. I managed to construct the approximate 3D shape by defining a couple of parallel planes. On these I draw the cross section with splines. I then carry out a Lofted Boss/Base operation,2D outlines on the different planes combining the different The solid object is then thinned down to 2mm with the Shell command. What I am missing is some overall post-processing smoothening/simplify complex shape button that makes the whole shape more regular. Does it exist for complex solids? Your help is appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Dave,
Apologies if you have already done this, but are you using guide lines? I use lofts fairly frequently and getting the guide lines right can be the key to controlling the shape.

Hope this helps,

Matthew

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back