Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Solidworks 2015 - On the fence about purchasing

SPEKTRE76

Hello all,

I am a CATIA user and have been for a year (student version obviously). I want to drop the hammer on SW2015. It's considerably cheaper from what I have seen and they offer 36mo financing at 0%. So, it's about $150.00mo to buy it. CATIA from what I "hear"; is $20,000.00 or more per seat. I really like CATIA and all of it's powerful features but what is truly the difference? I can surface, create solids and simulate just like in CATIA. I don't plan on starting an Aerospace Co. I just want to design products for that industry, namely safety products. Is SW up to the task?

Thanks,

Isaac

What does your employer/customer use? Do they have any requirements that you provide CAD data in a certain format?

What does your employer/customer use? Do they have any requirements that you provide CAD data in a certain format?

My employer (Boeing) uses CATIA. I don't have any customers. I just want to be able to design products that can actually be made. I plan on buying a Maker-bot plastic printer and an X-Carve CNC router. I'd like to start creating quadcopter drones and replacement aluminum parts for customers that need stuff like that. Basically a freelancer hobbyist is what I want to be.

:cool:

...........And I want to make a flight safety device for navigation and flight information using my prior Naval Air Traffic Control knowledge and experience. I'll explain in in greater detail in a PM to you if you like. I don't want to publicly broadcast it.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back