Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Solidworks - Assembly Question

swgbass

I'm an experienced 3D CAD user with 12+ years of full time design experience using Pro/Engineer. I just changed employers and their 3D CAD package is Solidworks. I've picked up on the Solidworks software quite quickly. However, I am having one issue when dealing with assemblies. Here is my question. When creating an assembly is there a way to contrain your first (or any other) component to the default assembly datums in order to avoid have a set of datums that is not on center with your first component? In Pro/Engineer this is the first thing that you do when creating your assembly. I've tried to do this in Solidworks and I get a message saying that both the default assembly datum and initial component datums are "fixed" and cannot be moved. Does Solidworks have a way to deal with this issue? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I'm an experienced 3D CAD user with 12+ years of full time design experience using Pro/Engineer. I just changed employers and their 3D CAD package is Solidworks. I've picked up on the Solidworks software quite quickly. However, I am having one issue when dealing with assemblies. Here is my question. When creating an assembly is there a way to contrain your first (or any other) component to the default assembly datums in order to avoid have a set of datums that is not on center with your first component? In Pro/Engineer this is the first thing that you do when creating your assembly. I've tried to do this in Solidworks and I get a message saying that both the default assembly datum and initial component datums are "fixed" and cannot be moved. Does Solidworks have a way to deal with this issue? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

HI bro,

Maybe you can do in this way, 1st you have to float your 1st component then re-mate the plane/surface then delete again the mating done and fix the 1st component again so now you have the view that you prefer and set by yourself.

hope this will solve your problem.

When you first create an assembly from an initial part, the part's reference planes become the assembly ones. So if you want to change the positioning to match your datum set, you will have to unfix the initial component first by right clicking on the component in the design tree and click on float. Then you will have to mate the initial component to where you want to setup your datums.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back