Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

spherical joints HELP

dinko_stz

Hi
I have a problem with CATIA V5. I'm trying to make D MU kinematics mock-up, but i can't definite a spherical joint. If anyone can help to solve this problem I'll be very happy. I can't find any tutorial for a spherical joints.

Last edited:
There is a short description of Spherical Joints in the online Help.

A Spherical Joint is pretty easy to add to a kinematic mechanism - just select two points (the centerpoint of the ball, and the centerpoint of the socket)

There is a short description of Spherical Joints in the online Help.

A Spherical Joint is pretty easy to add to a kinematic mechanism - just select two points (the centerpoint of the ball, and the centerpoint of the socket)
Yes that's correct. But after that when i try to make simulation it's impossible. I have 3 DOFs! How to fix them?

Mechanisms must have 0 DOF before they can be simulated.

So, you need to define more joints, or add some commands, or a combination of both.

I'm not sure what your mechanism is, so I'll guess you only have two parts: the ball, and the socket. Adding the Spherical Joint locks in the three translation DOF, but the parts are still free to rotate in 3 directions. More parts are needed to define how the ball is supposed to behave, along with an input command to drive the mechanical motion.

Last edited:
Thank you for the info. It was very useful. I'm trying to make a simulation of Delta Robot. I added all parts who was need to finish the robot. As a result i had 0 DOF but still couldn't move it. CATIA presented me that i had too many commands but i had only 3 revolute commands. When I stooped 2 of the commands I could move the robot but only vertical. It still couldn't move like a real Delta robot whit correct spherical joints.:( If someone did such simulation will be good to share him experience!

Last edited:
deltarobot.jpg

I found several pictures of Delta Robots, such as this one above

There are three input angles which would match the 3 commands you described in the first post.

But I only see Revolute joints - no spherical joints.

I saw this kind of delta-robot only with revolute joints. It can make easy. But actually I succeeded to make it whit spherical joints. I added an universal joint to every spherical joint. I made and simulation too. Everything was moving correctly.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back