Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Text on a Sphere

MADawg69

Hello, I am trying to extrude text either into or on the surface of a sphere. I know it can be done on a curved surface such as a cylinder using the wrap feature. I want to be able to extrude the text and have it normal to the surface of the sphere and also "wrap" on the sphere. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would deeply appreciate it.

Yes, to insert the text on the sphere you can use the wrap feature and then select emboss to have it protrude. If you would like it normal to a specific plane. Use the direction of pull box to insert the plane you'd like the text to be normal to.

Hope this helps, Jason Muckley

Greetings

To do what you ask is simple

Create your text on the relevant plane of the sphere
Use 'Extrude Boss\Base'
Set direction 1 to 'Offset from surface'
Select the face of the sphere
you want to select 'Translate Surface'
And you may need 'Reverse offset'

Hope it works for you.

Mike:)

Attachments

• sphere.zip
    190.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
The way is easy if you haven't got my post

Extrude the text from the plane its written on to the surface with 'Offset from surface' check 'translate surface' and you may need reverse to get it on the outside.

Text on Sphere

You could try this as a way to place text on a sphere

1. Revolve a 1/2 Sphere
2. Revolve a flat section with the inner surface tangent to the edge of the sphere to create a 1/2 cylinder
3. Wrap text emboss to the inner edge of the 1/2 cylinder and then subtract this from your sphere
Hope this helps :D

I have attached a sample file in SW2008 format

Regards, Trevor

Attachments

• Text on Sphere.zip
    754.5 KB · Views: 27

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back