Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

trying to find a cad custom machine shop that will use .ipt files

• Thread starter inventorstudent
  • Start date
I

inventorstudent

hi,

I tried contacting several custom machine shops and all of them say they cannot use an .ipt file and they ask for an alternate file type. But I lose all the features of my model if I try to convert to another file type. What is the point of creating parts in a .ipt file type of no one can use it? Can someone direct me to a machine shop that can manufacture prototype custom parts using a .ipt file? thanks

The purpose of creating files as .IPT is so that the program(inventor) can read and edit them. Until there is a standard file format for 3d cad files (I doubt this ever will) you will have this problem with any system. Most CAM systems do not read native file formats unless the CAM software is designed to be used with that particular CAD software. Give the shop a dumb solid part that they can program their toolpaths from and send them a drawing that shows tolerances and hole notes.

.ipt file not useable by custom machine shops? - AutoCAD Forums

IPT Files

There are shops that can do that with no problem. You just have to find a shop that is more up-to-date with their computer know-how. One such shop is I & M CNC Machining. It just takes a little extra elbow grease but it's really not a problem. Good question.

hi,

I tried contacting several custom machine shops and all of them say they cannot use an .ipt file and they ask for an alternate file type. But I lose all the features of my model if I try to convert to another file type. What is the point of creating parts in a .ipt file type of no one can use it? Can someone direct me to a machine shop that can manufacture prototype custom parts using a .ipt file? thanks

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back