Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

variable length

jugoslav

hi,
i just entered this forum and maybe I'm asking question that was asked before, if so please tell where to find the answer, if not please help if you can.

how to make part in assembly design which will have one ore more variable dimensions.
If I have two parts with X distance between them and one part (pipe) with length Y connecting them, how to make connection between X distance of elements and Y length of

pipe (since pipe is connecting two elements X should be equal to Y, X=Y), so when in assembly design I change X to Z, Y is automatically set to Z, again since pipe is

connecting two elements.

Thanks
Jugoslav

Jugoslav,

(I see that you've posted the same question on several forums - it will be interesting to see the different replies you get)

Here's what I would do to make the pipe fit between Part-A and Part-B:

Add a plane in Part-A where the pipe will start, and add another plane in Part-B where the pipe will end. Copy & Paste Special, Result With Link both planes into the Pipe part. Then construct the pipe, using the two copied planes as limits. The pipe will now be linked back to the other two parts, and it will change as those parts are modified.

There are probably as many ways to do this as the responses you will get. I'm sure someone else will suggest a method of defining Parmeters to control the pipe length.

Last edited:
thanks MrCATIA,

few hours after I posted this thread (on several forums) I found solution by myself, using parameters as you suggested.

First make all parts, then make parameter (distance between two connecting parts) in assembly design, after that make parameter distance of pipe equal to the distance between two connecting parts.
Simple

Thanks a lot

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back