Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Volute????

jagodragon

Can some one please tell me if there is an easy way to create a vulute (a snail shell kind of shape where the center is removed) in catia v5, aside from building each and every section? currently i have to create a section evrery 10 degrees, creating a skeleton, then give it a skin. this method takes about 2 weeks and i would like to lessen that by at least half.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can create an involute curve with CATIA V5, but not a surface. At least, not directly in a few steps.

(this can be done with CATIA V4, but the AREA Law algorithum was not migrated ???)

Two weeks seems a bit of exaggeration. You might be able to improve your method by using a PowerCopy to speed up the creation of the sections, although a section every 10 degrees also seems excessive.

I remember seeing this question before - did you ask it in another forum? I recall the Area had to vary based on a radius.

Can you provide some more details on what the volute looks like?

This was provided by some one on a nother forum at "CATIA products - Volute in Catia V5 ?!?!?!?!"

-----"http://www.nus.edu.sg/comcen/svu/publications/hpc_nus/sept_2006/CentriPump.pdf - see page 6"---- (provided by Ferdo @ Eng-Tips Forums)

and yes the area vs. radius is crucial the the function of the product along with a lot of other variables. it is due to these variables that the two weeks is not an exatuation (though i wish it was :p) the fact is, i am new to designing these products and i am still trying to figure out a "best practice" for the type of job.

and unfortunatly, i know absolutly nothing about catia V4 :( and our company had to let the licence go with ur last unix upgrade, thanks for the tip though, i will talk to some of the guys at corprate, i think they still have access to v4 :)

Yes - I just saw the posts on Eng-Tips. Some good and interesting suggestions there.

If your corporate coworkers still have CATIA V4, they can use SURF2 to sweep a surface based on 2 cross sections (intake and exhaust), a Area Law to control the variation in cross-sectional area, and a center/guide curve (involute?) to define the path. Definitley worth the effort to contact them for help. (it's probably a little more complex than that, but those are the basic steps)

Thank you for the suggestions :) i have contacted corporate and was promptly told taht resorses did not allow "specialty" projects to distract the designers from their "primary" job function..... i thought suporting the satalite branches was part of their "primary"function.... guess not :rolleyes:

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back