Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Would it be easier/faster to make pipe tubing in part design or Gen shape design?

If you want a solid model, use Part Design.

The only sculptured surface I see is the wings; so you might want to use GSD and then convert the surface(s) to a solid with Part Design. (But those wings look pretty simple, so you should be able to model them directly in Part Design)

I would model the components (engine, left wing, tail, wheel, etc) as a CATPart and then assemble all the parts into a CATProduct. The frame could be done as a single CATPart weldment, or a sub-assembly of individual tube parts.

Is this a school project, or just something to do for fun?

Last edited:
If you want a solid model, use Part Design.

The only sculptured surface I see is the wings; so you might want to use GSD and then convert the surface(s) to a solid with Part Design. (But those wings look pretty simple, so you should be able to model them directly in Part Design)

I would model the components (engine, left wing, tail, wheel, etc) as a CATPart and then assemble all the parts into a CATProduct. The frame could be done as a single CATPart weldment, or a sub-assembly of individual tube parts.

Is this a school project, or just something to do for fun?

It is for a school project. I'm not familiar with weldment, I'll look into it. I went ahead and tried both GSD and Part Design but I don't know how to get the piping to stop at the next surface. I get an overlay, it wouldn't be a problem but I have weight restrictions and I don't know how to trim it back.
Capture.jpg
I think I know a way to fix it but it will take more steps and I know there has to be a faster way.

by "weldment" I meant to make a single CATPart with all the tubes as if they are already welded together.

To trim back the pipes with Part Design or GSD: 1. Intersect the pipes to get a curve where they intersect 2. draw a Plane through the intersection curve 3. Trim each pipe end to the Plane

Since you tried both workbenches, which method do you prefer? Did you use hollow pipes or solid pipes?

.... but it will take more steps and I know there has to be a faster way.

The Pipe Design or Structures workbenchs have special tools to easily handle the pipe ends and other things.

Last edited:

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back