Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Bend sheet plate (to known diameter)

intogtar

Hello all,

I have flat plate where I should draw holes and after holes are done I have to bend it to an arc shape with radius of 154mm. How it can be done?
I have attached an image with drawing in AutoCAD. How I can make this in 3D using CATIA?

THANK YOU!

Attachments

• bend.jpg
    bend.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 10
Sorry, but I don't have access to CATIA right now and can't verify all the exact steps.

If you know how to use the Sheetmetal workbench, the process is fairly simple:
1. define the curved plate
2. unfold (flatten) the part, and add the holes
3. fold the part (with the holes) back to it's curved shape

If you're new to CATIA, I suggest you get some training.

OK Intogtar, here's the exact steps: (based on CATIA V5, R18)

1. Use the Generative Sheetmetal workbench (SMD license), and start by using the SheetMetal Parameters to define wall thickness and other material properties

2. Create a Sketch of the side profile of the the curved plate, with bend radius and enclosed angles

3. INSERT + ROLLED WALLS + ROLLED WALL, select profile sketch, and speciafy the length of plate

4. INSERT + VIEWS + FOLD/UNFOLD to see flat, developed shape
plate1.jpg

5. With unfolded (flat) shape;
5a. create a sketch of the hole
5b. INSERT + CUTTING + CUT OUT, and select sketch of the hole
5c. INSERT + VIEWS + FOLD/UNFOLD to see curved plate with deformed hole
plate2.jpg

repeat for more holes
plate3.jpg

6. With folded (curved) shape;
6a. create a sketch of a another hole
6b. INSERT + CUTTING + CUT OUT, and select sketch of hole
6c. INSERT + VIEWS + FOLD/UNFOLD to see flat plate with this hole developed in flat
plate4.jpg

7. to make a drawing view of the developed (unfolded) plate, use the UNFOLDED VIEW tool in the Drafting workbench and add dimensions
plate5.jpg

Last edited:
Notes on my last post:

1. The icons can be also be used for the all the steps. I listed the INSERT menu commands because they are easier to type in a posting like this.

2. I used CUTOUTS and sketches to define the round holes. The HOLE command can also be used.

3. I used the Generative SheetMetal workbench (not the Part Design Workbench) to build the solid model. Note the different features in the tree, and also the different set of icon commands:
plate6.jpg

I tried to identify each feature with a different color, but it's difficult to see - sorry

4. This part could be done with other CATIA methods - I think this was the quickest and easiest.

5. I found out there is a limit of 5 images that can be inserted in these posts.

Last edited:

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back