Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

CATIA surface help

mental2k

Hi guys, I was wondering if someone could give me some advice. I have been trying to convert a .obj file into a CATIA compatible file format. I finally managed to get it into an IGES file and into CATIA. However the model has lost a lot of its fidelity in the process. I used mesh to solid 3 to generate a Rhino file, then exported from Rhino into IGES. I have included a pic of the model to show you what I mean.

I am mainly using CATIA v5 at my place of work (they dont mind me doing some private stuff in my spare time) and I was wondering if there was any way I could regenerate the surface to make it smooth again, so it would be suitable for moulding off. I thank you for any help.

Attachments

• body.jpg
    body.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 13
.obj often contains polygon data, which means the model may look smooth but is actually a bunch of tiny facets. If it is a subdivision model (also polygons) you have more luck, you can freeze a densely faceted version and save that out as an .obj

When rendered it should look smooth.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back