Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Converting Surfaces

MrBlueSkyq

Hello,

I'm new to SolidEdge and this forum,
actually I'm not even the typical CAD user :)

I'm a programmer currently writing a model viewer for models designed in SolidEdge using openGL.

Problem is the models are built by surfaces.
My format of choice (*.XGL) exports empty data when I try..

I thought about turning the surfaces to a solid form, but SE seems to get stuck when I do so (if I pick multiple surfaces and use "Thickness" it displays a message box of "Unsucessful operation" without any additional data).
Picking the surfaces one by one seems like a crazy way to fix this..

Does anybody know:

* How to convert surfaces to solid?
* How to export surfaces in XGL using SE?
* How to export surfaces data in another "easy-to-read" format such as XGL or OBJ (which requires a quite costy plugin)?

I'm using UGS SolidEdge V18..

Thanks in advance!

Hello there,

I hope to offer a satisfactory answer to your questions here.

* How to convert surfaces to solid?
Surfaces are of zero thickness, and you'll have to assign a positive thickness value to it in order to make it a solid.

* How to export surfaces in XGL using SE?
You can export surfaces to XGL format in SE/ST2.
19367_261189343636_813238636_3208474_3223273_n.jpg

* How to export surfaces data in another "easy-to-read" format such as XGL or OBJ (which requires a quite costy plugin)?
You may consider exporting to JT format, since it an ISO certified 3D visualization format.

Hope this helps. :)

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back