Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Creating new points based on a formula

Rishi Sabesan

Hi everyone,
I am currently constructing a 3D model of an aircraft. I have parametrised the fuselage length of the aircraft so a user can extend and shrink the length of the plane.
Now i am up to building the windows, and ultimately I would like the number of windows to be proportional to the length of the fuselage.

Is there a way to make it such that CATIA will generate more windows along the aircraft if I change my fuselage length parameter?
I have already made a formula that calculates the number of windows required and another parameter that calculates the spacing required between each. I am having a hard time finding a tool that will allow me to create a set of points based on those two parameters.

I have built a sketch of one window, and plan on translating it all the way down the aircraft based on that set of points.

Cheers

Could you use a Rectangular Pattern to duplicate the windows?

If not, you can create a set of points using the Points & Planes Repetition tool:

a. switch to Generative Shape Design workbench

b. INSERT + WIREFRAME + POINTS & PLANES REPETITION

c. change Parameter mode to INSTANCES & SPACING

Last edited:

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back