Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Draft angle on a cylinder face

CAD_Forge

Hello gents and ladies, I am having trouble drafting a the face of a cylinder. I need a 7 degree natural draft on both top and bottom of the cylinder face. I have tried the advance draft tool to both sides at once but there is always an error saying the operation has too large of an impact on the body or another error is that the natural element is too steep . I have also tried the regular draft tool and it also comes up with errors. Is there a way to do this without using generative shape design?

Thanks for your time!

The Draft tool should work, but there are many other ways to can accomplish this using Part Design tools. One way is to make a sketch of the top and bottom 7° lines and use Pocket to remove the two tapered sections.

Here's how to do it with Draft:
draft on cylinder.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks MrCatia, but I am want to do a natural draft. The Picture shows a back draft. A natural draft used the top and bottom of the shaft as the natural elements, so Natural element =/= parting element. I figured out how to do it tho. I first had to create a draft on the sides of the cylinder. So the circle shape is not a perfect circle, it has a draft on the sides tangent to the circle and coincide to the parting plane, as seen in the picture. Doing that seperates the cilinder shape into top and bottom sections that can be selected and the natural elements. Only select the circular surface of each section, dont select the additional draft surface and it work!

Capture4.jpg

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back