Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Keeping Catalog Parts Linked

ZNewman

I've created a Catalog using a part family which generated all my design table configurations as parts in the catalog. When I go to use the part in an assembly it comes up as a new instance, and therefore doesn't associate itself anylonger to the catalog part.

I want to use these parts as standard components, but if something changes I need it to change in all my assemblies. In otherwords, if the catalog part changes, I want it to remain linked and update on the assembly's next open. Creating a new part/instance doesn't work for me.

Does anyone know if there is an setting I can change or am I outta luck?

Thanks in advance,
~Z

Z, what you described is exactly how CATIA Assemblies (CATProducts) work, so I don't understand your question. If you do indeed have an instance of the part, then it is just a link to the part, and the assembly should contain the current version of the part when updated. :confused:

Are you making your assembly in a CATProduct with the Assembly workbench? (I'm guessing you might be trying to make the assembly as PartBodies within a CATPart with the Part Design workbench) :confused:

Please clarify. An attachment of the tree would help.

Yes I'm using the assembly workbench, and I'm adding a part from a catalog (not as an existing component). I don't want to have to create a directory for every assembly I have. I want the assembly to link back to the original file that I used to create the catalog. That way if I need to make a change, the change is made across the board.

Basically what I am saying is once I retrieve a part from the catalog, it is no longer associated with the part used to create the catalog. If I have a common part in 15 assemblies, and I try to use a catalog part to create them in my Assembly WB, they will create 15 separate parts when I save. Instead of having one part, I get 15 parts that look alike. When I save the assembly, it saves the catalog part as a new Catpart in the directory that the assembly is in.

If I can't make an update to a catalog part, then I don't know the purpose of having a catalog would be. I might as well create all my parts in separate directories and use 'Insert Existing Component' and becareful not do a save management.

Let me know if you're still confused, cause I am.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back