Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

making a rollcage

lekhu88

ok...first of all...im a newbie...:eek:
i have to design a rollcage of a vehicle.(buggy type frame)
I started plotting points in 3d according my reqd dimensions in Part Design workbench.Then i joined them with lines and did the rib command.
But this doest join the ends of pipe...
Plz suggest me some method...:(

To make the rollcage as one continuous rib:

in the GSD workbench:
1. Add CORNERS where the lines meet, to represent the bend radius of the pipe
2. JOIN the lines and corners into a single, continuous curve.

switch to Part Design workbench, and
3. make the RIB

Thanks mr catia. :)
But i cant still figure out what to at the corners where three lines meet.....
The corner command seems to work for pts where 2 lines are meeting..

Make a separate Rib for each piece of pipe that makes up the rollcage.

(you might want to make each pipe(rib) a different size (different OD and ID))

Use the CORNER and JOIN only for a series of lines that define the shape of a bent piece of pipe.

So, when 3 pieces of pipe end at the same point, you need to make 3 different RIBS in CATIA.

Depending on how detailed you want to get, you might put all the ribs into a single PartBody, or you might want to put each rib into it´s own PartBody, or...

In Industry, most companies will make a separate CATPart file for each piece of pipe and then use the Assembly Design workbench to bring all the parts into the rollcage assembly as a CATProduct. The Welding workbench can be used to define how all the pipes are welded together.

Last edited:
ok...i tried doing the polyline in GSD workbench...but wen i try to rib it...it says
Sweep Operator:
The centre curve is neither continous in tangency nor planer.....

??:confused:

I know that I'm bumping a year-old thread but I'm having the same troubles as the OP.

I've made my rollcage in Part Design and GSD and it's currently just a bunch of lines and points. I'm trying to apply the RIB command in Part Design but I keep getting an error message.

I've drawn a cross section of the tube in the ZX-plane and used that sketch as the Profile I wish the extrude along the Center Curve (the main hoop of the rollcage) which lies in the YZ-plane.

When I try to do the rib I get a message that says that Sketch.1 (the YZ-plane that contains the main hoop and crossbars) isn't valid for the feature I want to create.

Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

Attachments

• GTI rollcage.JPG
    GTI rollcage.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 19
The center curve for the Rib must be a line or continuous curve with no sharp corners (and the bend radius must be larger then the pipe OD). That's why sketch.1 isn't valid.

I think using sketches is a mistake. Use individual lines instead. Or use Joins or Polylines as previously discussed.

(another option is to use "output features," but let's keep this simple)

Pipeline Welding

I started plotting points in 3d according my Pipeline Welding dimensions in Part Design workbench.Then i joined them with lines and did the rib command.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back