Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

modeling textures

P

phinneas55

I need to add a 3d texture to a model's non-planar face, much like the dimples on a golfball. Is this possible in SW2006 sp4.1?

texture

well its simple

just select the face and click on texture tool

select the texture u want to apply and finish

regards

Deepak Gupta

Sorry, but I need a three dimensional texture on the face, not two dimensional. It has to be 3D because this part will be used as a mold and the dimples must me recognized by our CAM/CNC software.

texture

well its again simple

make a ball of the required radius

now sketch 3d points on the surface/face using 3d sketch and check if u can constrain them fully.

check if u can use sketch pattern.

if not then draw a 3d curve passing thru all the point and use curve driven pattern

wish that cud help u out

regards

Deepak Gupta

I have tried a sketch driven pattern from 3D points, but the feature still patterns on a plane. A curve driven pattern will work on my non-planar face, though. Thanks for the idea! I need several thousand dimples in my texture so I'll keep looking for a method that requires less clicking and less crashing :(

modeling texture

i feel thr can b one more way.

u can create libraray feature for the dimples.

then just drag and drop them.

i don't know if it wud work.

but if u wish u can give a try.

regards

Deepak Gupta

shot peen, perhaps

I tried the library part feature and found that I can only insert the dimple feature on a planar face. I then tried creating a library part that I can insert and then cut from my main body. I would like to drop the origin of my library part, a sphere, onto a sketch point but imported bodies don't bring all of their properties with them so I can only relate its face to a sketch point. What I'll probably end up doing for this mold is get it shop peened, etched, or machine each dimple by hand with a die grinder. I would prefer a random pattern anyway.

thanks for your input

Joel

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back