Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

New person to solid works needing help

J

jonkers

As the topic says i am a new person needing help with solid works.

I have only been using it for a day or so and i got a grasp of the basics now and thought i would try and model something kinda simle that i thought i could do.

So i grabbed the thing closest to me and it happened to be the firing bolt out of my paintball marker.

Anyway i got what i consider something pretty good after a few hr's and was pretty happy with my first modeling attempt.

But there is one thing left to do and i can not for the life of me work it out.

I need to make an elliptical type shape dent in the side of it. I need it to gradually get deeper as it goes backwards along the bolt.

Any help[ with this would be great. If there is a tutorial that you know of that you could point me to or explain to me how to do it would be fantastic.

I have added a pic to try and show you what i mean.

egoboltnodetentcopy3je.jpg

Exactly what I was thinking... or just do a revolve cut. Establishing the axis could be tricky, though.

You could also try a filled surface. Make a sketch tangent to the face of the cylinder and draw the of the elipse. Next, on a perpendicular plane, add a sketch point to guide how deep the cut should go into the part; then do a surface cut. Check out the SUFRACES tutorial on the SW help menu for more info.

Or mabye an INDENT feature could work?

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back