Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Pyramid or Wedge using Loft command (multi-section solid/surface)

Hey,

I want to make a tetrahedron by lofting the base sketch and a point on an offset plane.

Can this be done on CATIA? If so, how?

I don't have access to CATIA right now to try this myself, but as I recall the Multi-Section tools do not work with a Point as the section. But I remember a good workaround:

Use the Affinity transformation to scale the base sketch based on the point. Use a ratio of .1 to start with. Then do the loft between the base sketch and the scaled-down sketch. Then go back and edit the Affinity, changing the ratio from .1 to .001. That should make the shape come close-enough to the end-point.

I just had a chance to verify my previous suggestion for a loft to a point. I discovered that a Scaling operation could be used instead of the Affinity, because it's easier (although either will work). I used a scaling ratio of .0001 to make it even closer to the point.

And as I said earlier, CATIA does not let you use a point as a section.

1617113014779.png

Last edited:
One easy way to make a tetrahedron (3-sided pyramid with equal length sides);

Make a Pad to extrude a sketch of an equilateral triangle, and then Draft all three sides at an angle of 19.471°

1617114297190.png

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back