Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

sketch in the bakground

kenshinV10

Helo I am wondering if it is possible to put an image in the bakground witch I then can make a sketch on. Instead of having it on a pice of papper at my desk to look at. I am using SolodWorks 2007...

Here's 3 options:
1) Convert your raster format picture into vector format DXF and import as a sketch
Several software packages will do this, including some freeware if you search around a
bit.

2) Insert your picture as the ViewPort Background for SolidWorks:
Tools>Options>Colors><select> Image File and specify directory path to picture file

3) With a SolidWorks part or assembly file open, Insert>Customize Menue><check box for "Picture" if not already selected>
Then Insert>Picture><specify directory path to picture file>

You'll need to scale the sketch after tracing the picture. With the sketch active, select all, RMB (Right Mouse Button)>Scale Entities> enter scale and reference point in sidebar.

Better way?

I just received a tech tip from solidworks-community.com and there's a better way- insert the picture in a sketch!
To insert a sketch picture, have a sketch active, and select Tools\Sketch Tools\Sketch Picture. After this is selected, the Open dialog appears.

Check SolidWorks website (link below)
SolidWorks Tech Tip

Insert A Sketch Picture Is The Way To Go.

I've Use Corel Draw "trace" To Convert Raster To Vector But The Files End Up Huge.

Good Luck.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back