Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Where can I find the info needed to build a good workstation for Solidworks?

zicoz

Hi, I am currently looking to build a good workstation for a client that uses SolidWorks, but I am having problems finding any good information on what is needed from such a computer. I tried contacting SolidWorks directly, they told me to contact the reseller, when I did that they didn't even know what a Display Port was and told me to look at the SolidWorks homepage, which has very limited information.

My main question is around the GPU and memory. Should I go for 32GB or is 16GB enough? And is a FirePro w5100 powerful enough, or should I get the w7100?

I don't know how you measure what is needed, but his files are about 15MB.

I don't know how much help this is, as you may already have come across this information. I just bought a used Dell Precision laptop from eBay for use with Solidworks 2014, and I consulted the first page listed below extensively. Some models of the Precision are not listed, so I steered clear of them on eBay.

Graphics Card Drivers | SOLIDWORKS

Also, this next page gives the basic hardware requirements:

SOLIDWORKS System Requirements | Windows and Mac | SOLIDWORKS

I haven't received the laptop yet, so I can't verify that the information on these pages is entirely accurate. As for RAM, I usually buy enough to max out right away - more is always better.

Best of luck on whatever you decide.

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back