Continue to Site

Welcome to 3DCADForums

Join our CAD community forums where over 25,000 users interact to solve day to day problems and share ideas. We encourage you to visit, invite you to participate and look forward to your input and opinions. Acrobat 3D, AutoCAD, Catia, Inventor, IronCAD, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, and others.

Working with the Hole feature

rbarata

Hello, my friends

I've been trying to create a part like the one shown in Pad1 picture.
The only constraints I have are the distance between the pad base to the hole center (40mm) and the vertical edge (20mm). So, the hole center coordinates are (40, 20). The top circle is not dimensionally defined but is concentric to the hole center.
When editing sketch 1 it seems I can't use Point 1 from sketch 2 to define the circle in sketch 1 (I can't project it and I can't find a way to make it always visible when editing sketch 1). Obviously I could create a point in sketch 1 coincident with the hole center but it doesn't seem the best solution. Any sugestions?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Pad1.jpg
    Pad1.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 4
I'm guessing your CATIA settings have "Hybrid mode" enabled. This is OK, but it makes CATIA behave a certain way. In "hybrid mode" everthing is created sequentially with everything ordered. When you try to use something from Sketch.2 in Sketch.1, that is out of order (Sketch.2 was added after Sketch.1).

There are several things you could do, but I think the easiest solution is to
fully constrain the circle and centerpoint in Sketch.1 first. Then constrain the centerpoint in Sketch.2 back to Sketch.1.

I'm guessing your CATIA settings have "Hybrid mode" enabled.

Yes, that's true.

Your solution assumes that I could define the circle at first place. But...what if the the circle is "dependent" of the hole position?

Thank you.

But...what if the the circle is "dependent" of the hole position?

Add the centerpoint to Sketch.1 as a construction element, constrain the point location, and concentrically constrain the circle to the point.

When adding the hole, constrain the centerpoint of the hole concentric to the circular edge by selecting the circular edge before you select the face for the hole.

If you were starting this exercise all over again, you could:

1. draw all the "master geometry" in the first sketch

2. draw the outside profile in a later sketch, constrained back to Sketch.1

3. add the hole constrained to Sketch.1

Articles From 3DCAD World

Sponsor

Back